By Crosswalk Editorial, Crosswalk.com
Mother's Day brings a special opportunity to honor and appreciate the woman who raised us. There's no lack of Mother's Day Bible verses to see the importance of mothers in the Word of God, from passages about nurturing children to honoring your parents. It is obvious that good mothers are a foundational part of a loving, faithful family.
Moms need hope and encouragement like everyone else. Consider reading some of your favorite scriptures from this collection for your mother in person or through a video to share your heartfelt gratitude. May she be reminded of your love and God's love through these words of the Bible. Browse some of our most beloved Bible verses about mothers, encouragement, and family below, which you can additionally use to sign her Mother's Day card for 2020!
15 Bible Verses about Mothers
- Proverbs 31:31: "Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate."
- Psalm 139:13-14: "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well."
- Genesis 3:20: "The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living."
- 1 Peter 3:4: "You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God."
- Deuteronomy 4:9: "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."
- Luke 2:51: "And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart."
- Isaiah 66:13: "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you."
- Isaiah 49:15: "Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?"
- Proverbs 31:25: "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come."
- Proverbs 31:26: "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue."
- Proverbs 31:28-29: "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'"
- Deuteronomy 6:6-7: "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise."
- Ephesians 6:1-3: Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”
- Exodus 20:12: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
- Proverbs 29:15: The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.
10 Bible Verses to Encourage Your Mother
- Romans 15:13: May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- Ephesians 4:29: Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
- Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Hebrews 10:24-25: And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
- Colossians 1:16-17: For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
- Romans 6:23: For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- 1 John 2:10: Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling.
- Romans 1:11: For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you
- John 3:16-17: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:11: Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
15 Bible Verses about Family, Mothers, and Fathers
- Proverbs 15:20: A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish man despises his mother.
- Proverbs 22:6 ESV: Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
- Colossians 3:20: Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
- 1 Timothy 5:8: But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
- Genesis 2:24: Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
- 1 Timothy 3:5: For if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God's church?
- Psalm 128:3: Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
- Joshua 24:15: And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
- Psalm 127:3-5: Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
- Ephesians 3:14-15: For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named
- Ephesians 6:4: Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
- 1 Timothy 3:4: He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive
- Proverbs 6:20: My son, keep your father's commandment, and forsake not your mother's teaching.
- 1 Peter 3:1: Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives
- Proverbs 11:29: Whoever troubles his own household will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise of heart.
A Prayer for Mother's Day
Lord, bless our mothers with wisdom to teach and guide their children in a way that will help them to follow You and to become men and women who will be pleasing in Your sight.
Give all mothers the patience to deal with the difficulties of their job and, most of all, give them a special blessing as they care so lovingly for the gifts that You have allowed them the honor of raising.
Photo Credit: Unsplash